Worms Armageddon is a 2D artillery turn-based tactics video game developed by Team17 and part of the Worms series. The player controls a team of up to eight worms in combat against opposing teams either AI- or player-controlled, using weapons both based on real-life weapons and ones that are cartoonish.
The game was released in 1999, with the last "official" patch in 2000. However, community devs have since created unofficial updates to keep it working on modern Windows versions, fix bugs, and add features. The most recent update was released in 2013.
Getting Worms Armageddon working for online multiplayer can still be a challenge. Follow these instructions and hopefully it'll all work.
For more details on installation, including Mac and Linux instructions (using Wine), try the Installation Guides on worms2d.info.
- You need a copy of Worms Armageddon.
- It's available on Steam. If you go this route, it should have the latest patches already. Have fun.
- Use an install CD from Microprose. Click here for a download link for the ISO. Then follow the rest of the steps.
- Double-click the ISO to mount it (Windows 8+). You'll need the ISO when playing too, because some of the data (music etc) is stored on it, so don't delete it...
- Install the game using the installer. But, do not run the game yet. Launching the game with an old patch can (allegedly) cause some file errors that can only be repaired by a complete uninstall and reinstall.
- Download the latest Community Update. Currently that is WA_update-18.104.22.168.
- Run the update. This will patch the game. Say "Yes" to the GFXUpdate. After it finishes you may launch the game.
- Configure your video settings. From "Options", click "Advanced", then choose an appropriate graphics mode. With a reasonably modern card, choose "Direct3D 9 (Shader)".
The next challenge will be getting open ports for the game. In order to host games, you need to forward port 17011 from your router. Worms Armageddon now supports UPnP, so it's possible this could be done for you. Or not.
If there are still issues hosting the game, you'll want to check that Windows Firewall isn't blocking incoming connections. This could mean making Worms Armageddon a "trusted" application or similar setting.
If you're still stuck trying to host a game, there's a guide for that too.
Additional DownloadsHere's some fun stuff to add to your game.
User content is stored in a folder under the main Worms Armageddon location. By default, this is
It may be easiest to just download a big .zip of everything below. You're in luck:
Click here to download WAStuff.zip.
Sound SetsUnpack these to the root of your WA user folder. Each zip has a complete voice set, plus a victory fanfare.
FanfareVictory sounds. Download and save to your Fanfare directory.
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail - "I Fart In Your General Direction"
- Star Wars - "Imperial March"
- The Simpsons - "Itchy and Scratchy Theme Song"
- The Simpsons - "Woohoo! In your face!"